Monday, March 23, 2009

A True Story

There is a series of Christian historical fiction that I have been addicted to for over 10 years. These books are written by Brock and Bodie Thoene and are called "The Zion Covenant", "The Zion Chronicles" and the "Zion Legacy". There are other great books they've written too, but the Zion series is my favorite. They have taught me about WWII, the Holocaust and the birth of Israel in such a real way that it has become very dear to my heart. After being a fan for so many years and rereading these books dozens of times, the characters and events have become so real to me. So I was beyond excited to discover recently that all of the characters in the books are real people. Their names in the books are fictional, but their stories were told exactly the way they happened.

Not everyone enjoys reading about Hitler, Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. It's very difficult subject matter to think about. I strongly encourage everyone to read these books...from a Christian standpoint it is inspirational and challenging. One of my favorite characters in the books is a young lady named Lori Kalner. Her father was a pastor who stood up to the Nazis and was thrown into prison. Lori and her brother escaped the Nazis and fled to England. Lori was separated from her young husband for 8 years and they both eventually emigrated to Israel to fight yet another war. To read her story and her struggles with God is quite amazing.

Lori is a real person. She is in her 80's now and blind. Yet she has partnered with Brock and Bodie Thoene to answer readers questions on their blog. It has been a thrill to read her responses to many questions I've wondered about myself over the years. There are so many things we MUST remember and learn from the past. The fact that a Holocaust survivor sees so many parallels between that terrible time in history and today should make us all sit up and take notice.

Here are links to a few posts that I found particularly important:

The Church in Germany in 1936 and the Church today

The World Today (similarities between the 40's and today)

TRUTH

If you go to the blog section and begin in the archives of Feb 2007, there are many posts by Lori. We are extremely fortunate that there are still survivors living and telling their stories and pointing out the truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a jerk and didn't even know you had a blog! I'll have to spend some time later today catching up on it!

Tara said...

lol! No...that's okay...I don't exactly advertise it to everyone. :-) Glad you found me though! ;-)