Monday, May 31, 2010

Peach Picking!

Today we visited Schnepf Farms where they had an amazing Memorial Day peach picking celebration. Pick your own peaches and get the first 5lbs FREE! Yeah baby!

Nick had his fill of farms this week, so my mom and I packed up Connor and headed off on our own. We picked peaches here on Mother's Day last year and were very excited to go again. We really should live on a farm. Really. I get such a joy from picking my own produce.

So, we arrived and plopped Connor in his stroller and rolled our way into the orchard. Way back where the trees were full and heavy with an abundance of peaches. Happiness! I had my mom take Connor out of his stroller for a picture when we made a horrifying discovery.

***WARNING! GRAPHIC PHOTO!!***


*************************************
***********************************************
***********************************************
*************************************


Peachy Poop at the Peach Orchard!

I know you're wondering why I'd take a picture of this. Well, it was just very ironic. First, Connor hasn't pooped in over a week. And every day we have been telling Connor, hey dude-poop already! All we hear and read is that this is normal in breastfed babies. So, of course after such a long wait, Connor decides to let loose in the middle of an orchard! 

Also, I couldn't help but notice how very peach colored this was so that was a little funny too. 

Plus, this has never happened to us before! Never, ever! We rarely have to use anything in our diaper bag when we are out with Connor. We rarely need his pacifier! So, out of habit I brought the diaper bag but left it in the car. Oops! So, I ran off to the car for the bag while Grandma held Connor and tried not to get more poop all over both of them.

Poor Grandma was covered in goo. That's what you get when you insist on holding the baby at all times. :)

Good thing I had lots of wipes, diapers, and a clean outfit for Connor. Lucky for him, I did not take a picture of him buck-naked in the middle of the peach orchard.

After Connor was all cleaned up, we got back to picking peaches and had a blast! Oh, they were so beautiful: big, juicy and smelling heavenly!


We let Connor hold a peach and smell it. He loved it...


He is ready to eat! I held a peach under his nose to smell it and he opened his mouth wide and tried to chomp down on it. :)


His lips look funny...he managed to get peach fuzz on them! Definitely a new sensation...


We picked two big trays of peaches. I'm going to make some of it into baby food for Connor!


Super fun!!

We walked around and hung out in a shady area for awhile. This is the same spot we were in last year on Mother's Day. We had just recently found out I was pregnant with Connor and this was where we announced our news to the family.

The night before Mother's Day I was in the ER. We had thought I might miscarry, so we were really scared. It was a blessing to come here and realize that just a little over a year ago, Connor was a tiny bean that we prayed would stay with us...


Now, here he is! :-)


Hard to believe this chunky boy was in my tummy not too long ago! :-)


We had such a great time!


Now I have peaches sitting in my kitchen, making my house smell nice and fruity. Connor will be starting to eat solids pretty soon, so I'm going to whip up a batch of peaches for him and put in the freezer for later. We busted out our baby cookbook and I am so excited to start making yummy foods for my boy! 

Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

Karen Butterworth said...

Congratulations! Now you're REALLY a parent! ;)

(Natalie went for week-long stretches without pooping as an infant too.)

I loved making homemade baby food. :) But I never had 5 lbs. of free peaches to do it with! Maybe I'll send you a recipe for spiced peach jam that I have somewhere.