Thursday, September 22, 2011

What an Adventure!

I am in a hotel in Colorado Springs, CO. Majestic mountains are outside my window and for the first time in many months, I am enjoying hot coffee and wearing warm, cozy pajamas. :)

All who know us know how we got here but I wanted to chronicle it anyway. Nick has applied for dozens of military/government jobs since May. God blessed us with a temp job that lasted about two months and when it ended, we were sad. We wanted to move and Nick desperately wanted his dream career to take off instead of taking just any job. We began to pray with more fervor than ever. I will admit to telling God that I would not stop pestering Him. :) On a Wednesday, Nick's temp job ended. On Thursday he heard from Ft Carson in Colorado regarding a job he applied for in June. They interviewed him on Friday morning and we prayed nonstop. This was Nick's dream job! With the Army!On Friday afternoon they called to offer Nick the job and we screamed, cried, then got down to the business of relocating and having no money to do it.

God provided as we knew He would. After all, this was His plan. Each day brought about new anxieties (not finding a house) but also so many unexpected blessings (a check we didn't know was due to us, selling a bunch of stuff on Craigslist, etc). We received help from our church to pay for the U-Haul and my women's bible study group took up a donation. Amazing!

Nick drove the U-Haul out on a Friday, my dad followed in one of our cars while the other was towed behind the U-Haul. The animals all made it unscathed and Connor and I were blessed to be able to follow them on Tuesday in an airplane. I'll be forever grateful I avoided a long 2 day car trip with a toddler! Our flight went by really fast and Connor did great. It was such a relief to finally have our family together in our new home!

Well, sort of. We are camped out in a hotel at the moment, still technically homeless. We found a house yesterday that we loved and applied for. I should get an answer about it sometime this morning. In the meantime, we have laundry to do today.

This is my first time in Colorado. In the past 2 weeks, anyone I told about our move reacted as though I were moving to Hawaii or Tahiti or somewhere really exotic. People rave about this state, especially Colorado Springs. Now I see why. I had wondered if I might feel closed in by so many mountains, but I don't. There are wide spaces of rolling green hills they call the prairie, lots of trees, and the mountains are in the background. Full of lush greenery and snow covered peaks. It's an amazing sight after 8 years in the Arizona desert. I literally almost cried as we drove to the home we want to rent. It's a gorgeous drive, just 10 minutes outside of Colorado Springs. I can't believe we get to live here!

1 comment:

Karen Butterworth said...

The picture looks lovely! The only thing I've been to in Colorado is the Denver airport, so I'm looking forward to seeing your photos! My mom has always wanted to visit Colorado, so she may come visit you guys! ;)