Monday, November 4, 2013

Why the Sunflowers?

I'm making some changes to this here blog. It will still be mainly a family blog, focused on life with kids, but I am going to be writing some specific posts about things like twins, parenting with a disability, etc.

I get asked lots of questions about how I do things. How do I manage to cook? How do I bathe two babies? How do we get out and do fun things as a family? Not only do I want to record my own memories someplace, I am hoping that some of the info I share will be helpful to someone else.

Because I have a physical disability, I do many things my own way. I have to. :) I recently connected with an online group of homeschooling mothers who have disabilities and I could not be more thrilled. I have always wanted to connect with another mom who can understand some of what I go through, someone else who could give me some ideas or tips and tricks to parenting when you have a physical challenge.

So, why the name change and why sunflowers?

I was recently sent a lovely bouquet of flowers by a handful of people in my life that I love very much. They all live far away and the gift of flowers was a surprise. It wasn't my birthday or anything like that. It was a "Thinking of You" type of gift, which are the best gifts sometimes. This vase sat on a table where I could look at it all day, every day. The colors made me happy and I realized that sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers. 



I often look at my children and they smile at me and it's like the sun came out from behind a cloud. "You are my Sunshine" is a song I sing to them a lot. Because they are sunshine. They are so happy and loving and full of pure joy.


Instead of ray of light that you can't hold or touch, they are my sunflowers. They are bright and beautiful and growing. They are planted in a garden that is our home and family. God has given me the important job of tending this garden with love and care and I am so blessed to have a wonderful husband (gardener!) to partner with on this amazing journey.

One of the things I love the most about this earth God created is nature. I love flowers and trees and gardens. I get a thrill out of helping something grow...even if it is just a small pot of herbs. The simple joy in a sprig of green popping out of the soil just makes me so happy. So, it makes sense that I relate so much to the idea that parenting is a lot like gardening.

You nourish and help each plant grow as best we can. As anyone who has ever attempted to grow anything in a garden, you know it takes a lot of work. A lot of time and attention. But the results are amazing when your flowers really bloom. It's worth the hours of pulling weeds and carefully fertilizing and watering the soil. :)




No comments: