Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Our little Sweet Potato!

This a a day early (I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow actually). But I'll be on the road to San Diego early in the morning and away from my computer and internet for the next 5 days. :-)


Week 18: Sweet Potato

Your fetus has become amazingly mobile (at least compared to you), passing the hours yawning, hiccuping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking and swallowing. And, baby's finally big enough that you'll be able to feel those movements soon.


Here is a cool photograph of an 18-week-old fetus inside the womb:




This was taken in 1965 by Linnart Nilssons, a Swedish photographer. He used an endoscope with an electronic flash to capture this picture. This is just one amazing photo from his book, A Child is Born. You can see more images of "A Child is Born" on his website: http://www.lennartnilsson.com/child_is_born.html

Such cool pictures!!

I am coming home from CA on Sunday, and Monday morning we have our big level 2 ultrasound. We're very excited about that! They'll be measuring the size of the baby, evaluating baby’s major organs to make sure they’ve formed properly, determine the amount of amniotic fluid to make sure there’s enough. They can also see if there are any changes that might indicate preterm labor and show whether the baby is in a breech position. Pretty important stuff. :-) I'm eager is see if the baby is healthy and still growing on track, and we get to see his/her little face and most of the body.

I say "most of" because we are not planning to find out the sex of the baby. We could find out Monday, but we won't. So there will be some images the tech will have to hide from us. :-)

Hopefully I'll have pictures and good news to share when I get back! Until then, have a great week and weekend everyone.

1 comment:

Lauri Dilbeck said...

Have a wonderful time with your mom in SD! Be careful and take care.