Connor was a scheduled c-section. We made it to 39 weeks without any labor signs at all. That was a huge blessing since throughout my entire pregnancy I was at risk for pre term labor.
We woke up at 4:15am on 12/23/09 to get to the hospital by 5:15am. We had to go in through the ER, so we were given face masks and had our temperature taken as a precaution with all the H1N1 flu going around. After we got registered, Nick wheeled me up to Labor & Delivery. Even at this point, the reality that we were having a baby hadn't really hit me yet.
We were taken to a triage area and I dressed in a hospital gown and got hooked up to a lot of monitors. I was feeling pretty calm up to that point. As usual, the nurses had a challenge getting my IV in, but once it was in and I had fluids going in me, I felt much better. Fasting without even a sip of water for 8 hours is hard, especially here in the dry desert!
The drama began when the anesthesiologist came in to consult with me. I was stunned when he informed me that my disability might make a spinal impossible and I may be going under for surgery. What?! I never heard that, my apparently the joints in my spine could make it tough to get a spinal or an epidural. He explained there would be 3 scenarios: 1. The spinal would work and all would be fine. 2. The spinal wouldn't work at all, so he'd be forced to use general anesthesia and I'd miss the baby's birth. Or 3. The spinal would SEEM to work, they'd start to cut me open, it would hurt and they'd have to quickly put me under and I'd miss the baby's birth.
Needless to say, I was very upset and could not stop crying at the thought of missing by baby's birth. My mom prayed with Nick and I, and then my OB came in and prayed with us also. After that, still feeling totally blindsided, I was wheeled into the OR and everything happened very quickly. They got the spinal in and it didn't hurt a bit. I started to go numb, so that was a great sign. I was still very nervous about them slicing into me and starting to feel pain though. Thankfully, all the nurses and the anesthesiologist were wonderful and supportive! They talked us through the whole surgery. Nick was there holding my hand, but it was hard for me to see anything as I lay there under an oxygen mask. All I could see was the reflection in the lamp above me, which allowed me to see just enough blood but not any details.
I was surprised when the doctor said they were already getting the baby out. He said I'd feel a LOT of tugging and pressure and to breathe through it like I was giving birth. I did what he said, but the pressure wasn't bad at all. After just a few seconds, I heard the doctor say that it was a boy! :) A few seconds later, one of the nurses said "he has your hair!". :) The baby started crying almost right away, which was a relief to hear.
Nick left my side to go take pictures and be with Connor. What I remember most is how many comments the nurses kept making about Connor's hair. :) I finally asked if he was okay and how much did he weigh? They said he was perfect and hadn't weighed him yet. I really thought one of the first things they'd reassure me of was that the baby was fine and healthy!
Nick left with Connor for the nursery where they gave him a bath, took his foot prints, weighed him, and all of that stuff. I felt weird being left all alone; even knowing the baby was out and everything was fine, I couldn't stop shaking violently. The doctor finally gave me a sedative to calm me down. It was a relief to stop shaking, but I felt totally out of it. It took about a half hour to get me sewn back up.
Nick brought Connor over to me when he was done in the nursery and nearly an hour after his birth, I finally got to see my baby. He was gorgeous! I got to hold him in recovery and our families finally got to come in and see us both, nearly 2 hours after my surgery had started. Nick made everyone wait and had me announce that it was a boy and his name was Connor. :)
Before I could say anything though, my mom came in and looked at the baby and said "Oh my God, it looks like Nick!". lol
After that, my hospital stay is somewhat of a blur. We had amazing, wonderful nurses and good thing too because we had many challenges with breastfeeding. Connor roomed in with us, so Nick and I had to take care of him all on our own. Luckily the nurses helped whenever we needed it and one had the wisdom and kindness to take Connor to the nursery for a few hours one day and made me take a nap.
My c-section wasn't bad at all. They made me get up and walk later that same day. I was in pain, but it was manageable. I made myself take walks and I think that helped me recover faster. By the time I went home, I only needed to take some pain meds for another day and then I was done.
All in all, it was a great experience. Mostly because the doctors and nurses were so amazing and we had such great care. I am so thankful that God allowed things to go smoothly and I was awake to experience the birth of my first child.
No comments:
Post a Comment