This lovely little mountain town is quaint and has the typical collection of shops and cafes along a winding main street. It reminded Nick and I both of our trip to Gatlinburg, TN. What is unique about Manitou Springs is their mineral water fountains. You can read all about the history here if you're curious: http://www.manitousprings.org/mineral-springs
| Navajo Spring |
But basically, there are 11 springs in town and all are free to sample and you're encouraged to even fill up your water bottles and take it home. Now, how cool is that? I was even more impressed after I researched and discovered that to buy this water would cost $25 for a 12-pack! It's supposedly some of the most expensive mineral water and also the best.
We got a free map but only had time to find 3 springs. I guess half the fun is the scavenger hunt of scouting them all out! :) They all look so different, which is neat. All unique and all with their own flavor too. One was practically hidden in a wall along the street, just tucked into an alcove. The spring that Connor is sampling above is called Cheyenne Spring. It was very carbonated and kind of tart and lemony. You can certainly taste the mineral content!
We enjoyed a short stroll across a pretty bridge and Connor loved looking down at the creek flowing by and also wanted to climb on everything, including this bike rack.
I really love old churches and we've seen quite a lot during our explorations. This was the first one I managed to get a picture of! I always see churches like this and wish we had gotten married in one. :)
The last spring we found was Shoshone Spring. Connor loved this one because it was low enough for him to get at on his own. He definitely enjoyed splashing in the water more than drinking it, but he sampled each one willingly.
Scientists suggest that the mineral water emitting from Shoshone Spring contains the greatest amount of deep-seated water from the aquifer system. It contains some the highest amounts of mineral content of the downtown springs and it’s the warmest, with a temperature of just over 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Although we read about it beforehand, I didn't really know what to expect. I was a little embarrassed to show up with a bunch of water jugs to fill up so all I brought were some little cups for us to use for tasting. After walking around a bit, I saw a lot of people with their water bottles, jugs, etc. so next time I will definitely fill up! :)
We aren't at all accustomed to drinking mineral water and it took some getting used to. I think it's worth trying on it's own but combining it with lemonade or juice to create a sparkling drink is a great idea. You get all the minerals but it still tastes good and is enjoyable to drink. :) I'm looking forward to our next visit to Manitou Springs and hopefully we'll get to find the other 8 fountains.
In case you wondered, I did read that Manitou Springs is looking into bringing back mineral soaking pools, just like the pools used in bath houses long ago. I sure hope that's possible because the mineral water is so good for your skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment