I realized with much horror the other day that I have tended to shoo my boys out of the kitchen while I cook, encouraging them to do anything in order to stay out of my way. The kitchen has been my domain and I find cooking oddly therapeutic, I like being quiet and focused at the task at hand. But I have always wanted my son(s) to learn to cook and do other helpful household chores, be it "women's work" or not, every man should be able to bless his future wife one day with some cooking skills. :)
Also, cooking is a wonderful experience. It hit me out of nowhere that
Hello, I have a toddler who is nearly 2! Of course he can start "helping" me in the kitchen once in awhile.
I decided to start with baking. It's fun and quite safe prior to sliding anything into a hot oven. Connor and I made Grandma Butterworth's pumpkin bread together.
 |
| Connor helped by adding water, oil and the eggs! |
 |
| Connor added the spices |
 |
| In goes some cinnamon! |
 |
| There were many taste-tests |
 |
| Using the mixer was fun |
 |
| Tasting the end product after dinner. YUM! |
I was happy and impressed with Connor's interest and patience during the process. He seemed to understand what we were doing and enjoyed himself. I'm so glad the Lord opened my eyes so that I can start this cooking together process early!
We've also made cupcakes for Daddy, cornbread and sweet potato biscuits.
3 comments:
Sarah and Natalie's favorite thing to do is stir. ;) Sarah is starting to want to knead bread too. One of these days I need to teach her proper knife usage, but...well, let's just say I might not be the best person to do that!
My mom started Hailey out using a butter knife to cut all kinds of things. Even raw veggies! You might try that. Kneading bread is fun! Connor always puts bites of dough in his mouth though. :)
You should have seen Natalie stirring and then chowing down on my failed tortilla batter. :-p (She liked it though.)
Post a Comment