Monday, April 30, 2012

Backyard Garden

Trying to improve the state of our backyard has been a huge undertaking, but we're working on it bit by bit. Connor and I pulled weeds and cleared out a small area around the patio for part of the garden:

Connor likes to organize; he lined up all the pots and all the plants very neatly


Before  
What I WISH my after looked like; really just inspiration


 Our view from the back door: potted flowers, herbs, and a strawberry plant


Tomato and kale


Planted seeds here and I hope they grow and fill in between the rocks!


Rose bush and a blueberry bush

Blue flowers that are supposed to spread like a ground cover and cucumbers planted along the fence




Sad how 10 hours of hard work doesn't look that impressive in pictures! HA! But we really did pull a ton of weeds and planted a lot of seeds. I hope the potted plants do well...I wanted to take them with me if we move, one reason I didn't plant in the ground.

We're growing tomatoes, kale, lettuce, spinach, and various herbs in the pots. Plus that blueberry bush. :) Now, I'm working on the corner of the yard that holds several empty flower beds and some pretty plants and flowering bushes. It's taking quite some time but it's already looking a lot better. Hopefully soon I'll have before and after pictures.

I know we'll need to get back to the front yard again very soon. We hung bird feeders and wind chimes and our neighbor commented that our yard looks the best she's ever seen it in 6 years, so that made us feel good. :) But I am putting a lot into my backyard because that is where we hang out and I want to look at something pretty! :)


No comments: