
We started a new bible study last week with our small group from church. It's called "The Life You've Always Wanted" by John Ortberg.
We started our study right after the inauguration of Obama as President so that was God's perfect timing. :-) The first chapter of the book was about transformation, morphing into God's image and what should be evident in our lives to show that are growing spiritually and becoming more like Christ. It's interesting to hear what Christians immediately think of when they imagine what they need to look like and act like to be more like Jesus. Patient, wise, kind...someone who never gets angry or frustrated...someone who never makes a mistake.
It's funny the way God works! In light of the elections and Obama's presidency, the first chapter of our study focused on love. This the greatest commandment. This is what should be in our hearts as a result of spiritual transformation. Not to be "perfect". Not to have every verse of the bible memorized. Not to be seen in church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and every bible study in between.
We all know the verse 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. We all know that love is patient, kind, etc. Have you ever read the verses before this popular section? This is what really got to me this week:
"1. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3
Wow! This really fits into my recent concerns about Obama. If we cannot love, we have nothing. I know not everyone is a fan of The Message bible, but I have to share the last portion of the verse above as translated by The Message:
"So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."
What has stood out to me in my many conversations with liberal, Obama supporting friends is their impression of Christians. What do I tell my atheist, liberal friend when he asks me why Christians are so hateful? Why they say Obama is the Anti-Christ? Why are they marching in protest holding signs that proclaim certain people are going to hell?
Jesus said in John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." This was a verse that came up in our study and although I've read it many times before, I focused more on the first part than the part about loving. So ALL men will KNOW you are MY DISCIPLES. Could it be that Jesus was also telling us that the world will be watching us to see if we really are disciples of Christ and the way they will know is by our love. Not by our perfect church attendance or our bible knowledge. They will know us by our love. This is so evident to me at this time. I have so many lost friends that are either atheists or agnostic, who are so turned off by Christianity because of the hate they see and hear. Even on a message board about Obama, someone will jump on there and say they're a Christian and then start throwing a fit and spouting off a whole slew of negativity. I've observed this many times and believe me it never does any good. In fact, it always ends with--- All Christians go away please, we don't want your hatefulness here.
If we can lift each other up and encourage one another to show love and respect for our President, no matter who we voted for, we can make the next 4 years much better. We can show "all men" that we are Christ's disciples. Is it possible that someday people will think of "loving" when they think of a Christian instead of thinking "hypocrite and judgmental"?
I know it's not realistic to think we can all be loving all the time. There are legitimate concerns we all have as Christians and of course we get frustrated and angry too. We're human. I have sat through many an Obama rant in the privacy of my own home or car with a fellow Christian. I say, this is the place to rant if you must. But, consider channeling your future concerns into prayer. Try to realize that ranting on a public message board or a pro-Obama blog is only serving your need to rant. Think about how much it offended you to hear hateful remarks about Bush. That's what really helped change my attitude initially. I was really tired of all the anti-Bush raging. It wore me out---people can only take so much negativity.
Our awesome God can take care of you, America, and Obama. We have nothing to fear and nothing to worry about. We can easily say, I don't agree with some of Obama's beliefs but it's in God's hands. And I'll pray for Obama and my country.
My awesome sister-in-law Karen wrote up her own blog about Obama and how we as Christians are called to respond to leadership. Read it! :-)0
3 comments:
Throughout my life, I've had more unbelieving friends than believing (not the case now, oddly enough). Perhaps because they are generally more accepting and loving (not counting present company, or we wouldn't be friends). Hmm. I digress. Due to that balance of friends, I have gotten those questions a lot. The ones about hateful, condemning Christians. A long time ago, that was really awkward. I didn't want to bash my fellow believers (or sometimes myself). Giving negative press to Christianity seemed counter-productive. Since then, I've reached the conclusion that giving negative press to other Christians and even Christianity as a religion doesn't reflect badly on Christ. Hate in the name of Jesus reflects badly on Christ, and we should debunk it at every opportunity. So I answer calmly and without excuses, "Because they're wrong. Because we all get misled sometimes and do and say things that we would never say if we thought we were talking to Jesus. Because Christians are as frail and messed up as everybody else. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with Christians. That's people, not Jesus." It doesn't always have any sort of mitigating effect, but at least it is true. It's also refreshing to unbelievers to hear a Christian admit fault and frailty rather than make self-righteous excuses.
I do not remember who said this. And I may not be quoting it right. But the essence is there. "There was only ever one perfect Christian. And they crucified Him." We all get it wrong one way or another. But it does help to admit where we miss the mark, to admit that we fall short and blow it and are not perfect. It helps to remember the verses on love when we DO need to point out sin and shortcomings in others...and in ourselves.
TJ, I agree and I usually respond the way you do. People do appreciate honest admissions of wrongdoing. I didn't mean to bash any other believers...but in this one specific area it is a big problem and people need to realize how they look in the eyes of the world. It's alarming.
I could be way off base here, but I've always felt like if you want to go off acting like a big jerk, why on earth do you announce you're a Christian first? I mean, that is just crazy to me. I'll admit that I don't put Christian bumper stickers on my car because we can be crazy drivers. And I've seen many a driver on the roads here cut off people in traffic and even flip off other drivers. And they have a Jesus sticker on their bumper! And usually one that says something like "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven". Your fellow Christians get that "joke". The rest of the world does not.
Karen, this is a hard topic. Because as fellow Christians, we of course understand that only Jesus is perfect and we mess up all the time. We'll never get it right all the time. I am not bashing any other Christians. I know I'm not the best writer, but my whole point was we need to be more careful. We are being watched carefully. So we should be more careful with our public rants. Maybe have just a little more self-control. Be aware of whose around you, listening and observing. No one really expects you to be "perfect". Like you said, respectfully disagreeing is acceptable. I hope people can just practice that more!
Post a Comment