I have wanted to run away to Australia, or maybe a deserted island, pretty much since the day the elections and all that hoopla began. It has been an exhausting and emotional time. I watched the inauguration yesterday just because I was home and I could watch it live, and I really wanted to hear Rick Warren's prayer. :-)
The prayer was good. I watched Obama take his oath. I didn't vote for him, but in the last couple months I've gotten over all the emotions that came along when Obama won the election. God convicted me very quickly that I was NOT trusting in Him or being a good witness by expressing fear and worry over one man.
So, I am really at a frustrating point here. I hear many Christians complain and rage and worry about Obama. Why? Jesus commands us not to worry. I have heard Christians make statements about Obama NOT being a Christian and even claim he's going to hell. How do you know? We know nothing about anyone's true heart except for our own. Oh, and being so hateful and mean is not Christlike at all. What happened to loving our neighbor?
I am not interested in debating who is right or wrong and all the reasons Obama might ruin our country. That is just a waste of time at this point in the game. Let us pray for Obama. Let's trust God. Let's remember that we're all sinners and fall short. Jesus died for us all and He loves us all.
4 comments:
Before the election when I was having some work done on my van, my mechanic reminded me of something important. He said something like, "I'm voting because it is the responsible thing to do, but I'm not worried about the outcome. I'm not a citizen of this world or this country. I'm just living here until I get to go Home. God will take care of me and stay in control regardless of the man sitting in the White House."
There's nothing of Jesus in hating President Obama. There's nothing of God's kingdom in being afraid of what one man and his administration will do.
What a wise mechanic! That is so true!!
Good write-up. :) I wrote my own, but of course it's far more verbose. I am so not pithy. :-p
excellent post. i wish i could tell some of my outspoken 8th graders the same thing.
sigh.
love,
jess
Post a Comment