Friday, December 31, 2010

Mattresses and your health

Nick and I bought a new mattress shortly after we were married. It lasted about 5 years before it really started to go downhill. The big problem began after I was pregnant and had to switch sides of the bed so I could be closer to the bathroom (haha). That's when we realized the mattress had some serious lumps and permanent body shaped holes in it.

Now, Nick weighs about 100 lbs more than I do. We'd be great testers for a Sleep Number Bed. :) My side of the bed is a lot higher than Nick's and when he rolls over, I get bounced around all over the place. It's really frustrating, and since we switched sides of the bed, I slept in his "hole" for about a year. :P We haven't been able to afford a good new mattress though, and man oh man does a bad mattress effect so much of your health! I'm not just talking about aching backs. Snoring, headaches, neck pain, and one of the worst for me was stomach pain and numbness returning to my hands. My chiropractor was convinced it was due to my pillow, mattress, or both.

Well, we were blessed with the gift of health and good sleep by Nick's mom and dad. They got us a new mattress for Christmas! It is memory foam, something we've never tried before. It's amazing! We've been sleeping so much better!!

Nick's snoring hasn't disappeared, but it has gotten better. I can't feel anything on my side when he gets into bed or rolls around. Both of us feel great; no more neck and back pain in the morning.

I am really happy to report that I haven't had numbness in my hands once since we got the new mattress. Amazing!

I think a lot of health issues can be attributed to your sleep, but some you might not make the connection right away. We have definitely learned our lesson. We are beyond grateful for this gift! I'd recommend a memory foam mattress to anyone. Definitely check it out if you're having any sleep/health issues! And especially if there is a big weight/size difference between you and your spouse.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

We are happy that the mattress is a success. We were a little reticent because a mattress is subject to personal taste, but we took a chance. Love you! Mom

Tara said...

I'm happy it worked out so well! We love you too!!

Tana said...

i'm so glad you love it...we've had ours for a little more than 2 years & it took me most of that to finally be comfortable with it! now i don't sleep well in a normal bed.