How many of us diet on and off for decades? That seems to be the trend. Dieting is hard...we feel so deprived and eventually give back in to eating stuff we love. It can be a vicious cycle.
As many experts have stated, it's much better to change your lifestyle and habits that will stick in the long run. I've tried that too and I think I've done alright. I've stayed at the same weight (with the exception of pregnancy of course) for the past 6 years. However, I haven't made all the changes I should have. Cutting back on sugar, fast food, etc.
Well, recently I've been feeling yucky. I've had back pain and I finally decided I needed to stop eating things that were causing inflammation in my body. I wanted to get healthier. So I embarked on what I've been jokingly calling the Farmers Market Diet. I base my meals around fresh food I buy twice a week at the farmers markets. I've been cooking more from scratch and slowly weeding out any boxed, processed foods in the pantry. I've been feeling great! Then...
Nick was off work for a few days and was being extra helpful with Connor. I decided to get him a treat and picked up some Krispy Kreme donuts one morning. I had just one and figured it was okay for a special treat, right? WRONG! I felt so incredibly horrible afterward. Tired, head achy, shaky. I was truly surprised at that reaction. I didn't feel better until lunch when I ate a big bowl of vegetable soup and drank a smoothie made from fruit and kefir.
Yeah, lesson learned! I don't think that donut was worth the yuck. And it wasn't as though I just felt fat and guilty. Nope! I believe in moderation and dessert once in awhile. My body simply did not enjoy having to process such yuck after weeks of clean eating.
I am glad for that lesson. That has never happened to me before! I think it will help me stay on track even more. For example, yesterday I stopped to get a drink while I was out shopping. I deliberated for a good 5 minutes in the cold drink section. I really wanted an iced coffee or an iced tea. I knew it'd taste good and it was the type of drink treat I'd normally get for myself. But I had had a cup of coffee that morning and an iced tea at lunch already. I knew my body would not appreciate any more sugar or caffeine. So I got a bottled water and I'm happy I made the right choice. We bypassed the dessert vendors at the farmers market afterward and stuck to buying our vegetables and bread instead.
Best of all, I'm happy to say that the pain in my body has overall decreased dramatically. Eating natural anti-inflammatory foods really does work! And of course, all the vitamins and nutrients help too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment