Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Baby Love!

Happy Valentine's Day! Since today is a day all about love, it seems very appropriate to share the new love in our lives: Baby #2! Our newest little Ginger Snap is due to arrive at the end of August and we are so excited.

I am officially in the 2nd trimester and feeling better. The first trimester was a cornucopia of every pregnancy symptom imaginable, all day long, every day. I am happy to be past the worst of it.

We discovered Ginger Snap was on the way on New Year's Day...


I'd had suspicions for weeks but tried to wait until it was just undeniably true before taking a pregnancy test. I took one the morning of New Year's Day and of course it was positive. I handed it to Nick and said "Happy New Year!". What a way to ring in 2012! :)

Being still new in town, it took a bit of research and praying to finally find an obstetrician. Since I have a uterine abnormality, I really like to have an ultrasound before announcing the pregnancy to anyone. My uterus is heart-shaped and sometimes a baby can implant in a less-than ideal spot and if they do, the pregnancy will not last. So an ultrasound is necessary to set my mind at ease.

We were about 7 weeks along when we got an ultrasound and could see that the pregnancy was viable. Ginger Snap was implanted in a great spot and we could see the heartbeat and everything looked great. It's interesting that Ginger Snap set up camp in pretty much the same spot that Connor did!

Unfortunately, just like with Connor, I began to bleed at 7 1/2 weeks. I am still bleeding today at 12 weeks. At my OB appointment yesterday, they did an ultrasound and saw that the placenta is covering my cervix. They don't think it will remain there since it is still so early, but for now that may explain the bleeding. In fact, they could see blood pooled underneath the placenta on the ultrasound. :( At least there is a logical explanation for the bleeding, but it is still causing me a lot of worry.

It looks like we'll keep on with frequent doctor visits so long as this issue continues. Please pray this bleeding stops for good.

Okay, now for the fun stuff. :) Despite all the other problems, this baby is actually doing great. Strong heartbeat and growing like crazy. Ginger Snap is measuring right on track and starting to look very cute. :) Here is an ultrasound photo from yesterday; sorry it doesn't look great. I have no scanner so I just had to take a picture of the picture we got:


I had a small moment of panic when I saw this...what looked like a very large nose on the baby's face! Eek! I asked the tech if that was the baby's nose and she laughed. It's actually the baby's arms up by it's face! Whew!! Ha ha! The baby was asleep at first but soon woke up after all the poking and prodding.


 Baby woke up and moved around and we could see that cute little button nose! :) It was really neat to see the baby looking like an actual baby, arms and legs kicking and waving all around. We're so thankful Ginger Snap is strong and healthy so far!

Connor doesn't seem to really get the whole new baby thing yet. We show him the ultrasound photos and tell him there is a baby in Mommy's belly but it's really hard to tell what he thinks of that. I'm not showing yet so hopefully as I really start to grow and change, Connor will understand more.

We do plan on finding out the sex of the baby this time, hopefully in about 8 weeks! We're excited about that. I'm also probably going to have another scheduled c-section, so although Ginger Snap's estimated due date is August 28th, it is very likely I will be delivering about a week earlier than that. Of course as soon as we have it scheduled, we'll let everyone know the date.

Happy Valentine's Day!! :)

No comments: