Saturday, June 27, 2009

German Pancakes

I made German pancakes for breakfast today and they are SO good, I wanted to share the recipe.


They are nothing like your typical American pancakes. This recipe was given to me by my Aunt VaLynn. It is so good and the perfect breakfast to make for your family because it's ready to serve a big group all at once. We kids loved it growing up and we still do!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1/2 apple peeled and diced

5 TB butter (I think you can get away with less if you wanted to)

6 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp honey or sugar

1 cup flour

pancake-type toppings (jam, syrup)

Slice butter and place in bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Place in oven to melt. While butter melts, mix all ingredients except apple in a blender---wet ingredients first, then dry ingredients a little at a time. When butter is melted, gently pour batter in--try not to disturb the butter too much. Sprinkle apple bits over the top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until sides fold up and the top is lightly browned.




Serve immediately and top with your favorite pancake toppings. Our favorites are syrup or jam.



This is a nice breakfast to have on weekends as a special treat. Yummy!

3 comments:

Tana said...

i am going to die of pancake envy. i really might. actually, i'm just going to make this REALLY soon. thanks for the recipe!

Karen Butterworth said...

This looks similar to the ones I've seen online...except you made it in a baking dish instead of a cast iron skillet! ;)

I'll try it soon too! (Probably in the skillet!) ;)

Lauri Dilbeck said...

Yum, Yum! I'm gaining weight just looking at the photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give it a try. I like that you can make it up and bake it. I don't like standing there waiting to flip!