Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Walk in the Rain

After publicly wishing for fall to begin, I got a nice surprise today: rain! Not the quick, crazy loud and furious, yet short thunderstorms we often receive on summer afternoons. No, today I woke up to the delightful sound of raindrops on the roof. It was still mild enough to open the windows to let in that fresh, cool, rain scented air.

It has been raining all day long. A slow, gentle drizzle.

This is the perfect rain to walk in, so walk we did. Or rather, I walked and Connor jumped. He ran for every puddle he could find and landed in it with a whoop and a holler.







Connor's new way of telling me he wants his picture taken: he stops, poses and announces "I want to say cheese!". :)

I have a friend in California who has 12 kids. Yeah, 12! I figure I ought to pay attention to her parenting advice. :) Her family tradition is to play in the rain, every rain storm. Even the cold ones! I love her pictures of all 12 children in their rain boots and slickers, jumping in puddles and dancing in the rain. I have always been inspired by that. Why do we think a rainy day means we're stuck indoors? A little water never hurt anyone. :)

Obviously, my kiddo agrees. He had SO much fun jumping in these puddles.



The look of pure delight







Connor also found treasures in the puddles and running water along the curbs. Worms were a special fascination. I recall digging up worms as a child, don't you? Worms are pretty cool. It's fun to watch them wiggle and they don't bite. Connor loved looking at them:


Look Mommy! A WORM!

Because I am awesome, I helped Connor pick up the worm and he held it very gently and looked at it very lovingly:


Until the worm started to wiggle it's way back to freedom! Connor graciously sent Mr. Worm on his way, placing him in a flowing river of water along the curb.



Look at that soggy kid!


We arrived back home pretty damp, but happy. Hours later, and it's still drizzling outside! Thank you Lord!

No comments: