Saturday, September 15, 2012

Jalapeno Poppers

Nick came home with a bag of jalapenos the other day. His friend at work grew them in his garden and had a surplus. At first, I had no idea what to do with that many jalapenos. Then I remembered how, last week, I was craving jalapeno poppers BIG TIME. But we had no money to buy any. Looks like the Lord indulged me because I already had all the ingredients on hand to make these poppers. I just needed the jalapenos! :)

There were only 5 left by the time I thought to take a picture. Yep, these are so good that Nick and I ate about 20 jalapenos between the two of us. Oy! At least they're baked, not fried. ;)

All I did was slice each pepper in half, remove the stem and seeds and membranes and rinsed them well. I used all the cream cheese and Monterey Jack cheese I had left (not much) and mixed it together, stuffed each jalapeno half, dipped it in an egg that I had beaten, and rolled it in some bread crumbs. Baked at 350 for 40 minutes. Deliciousness!

Here's the basic recipe I used for inspiration: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/skinny-baked-jalapeno-poppers.html

This was so easy, I am never buying frozen jalapeno poppers again. And I think I may try growing my own jalapenos!



1 comment:

Karen Butterworth said...

For a church picnic with a Mexican theme, I was going to make the green chile rice casserole. I accidentally bought jalapenos at the store (of course, these were canned not fresh). It worked beautifully, and I had people scraping the bottom of the dish. So if you do end up growing jalapenos or having a surplus again, there's another use. And of course, homemade salsa. ;) You could grow a salsa garden--tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, and cilantro! ;)