Tuesday, October 9, 2012

No More Poo!

There is a nice patch of grass in front of our apartment. On move-in day we quickly discovered that our patch was a prime spot for dog poo. Ew! Dodging a dozen stinky piles as we moved in our stuff was not fun. By the time we were all settled in, I was very annoyed. We had to smell it and it wafted into our home if we opened a window in the front. NOT COOL!

This is an issue in most community areas. At our old condo, the HOA had placed "pick up your pet poo!" signs all over the place but people still never did it. Here, there are no signs. No matter: this is a common courtesy.

Our upstairs neighbors have a HUGE dog and we assumed they might be contributing to this poo problem. So when we saw the dog trot downstairs one morning and squat on our "lawn", we were not happy. In fact, all three of us were sitting at the table eating breakfast and I did not appreciate that my view was of a dog pooping.

Unfortunately I had forgotten that our windows were open when I loudly exclaimed that there was the dog leaving all the poop on the grass. Less than a minute later, we saw our neighbor run downstairs with a bag to pick up all the poop. Oops. I hope I didn't sound too terribly rude but I'm glad it made the neighbors aware!

Wait, it gets better!

This is the view from our dining room table:


I like lots of light, so every morning the first thing I do is open all the blinds. We sit here having breakfast and the first couple of days in our apartment were very amusing.

First one neighbor, then another, then another would come by walking their dog. They'd glance around, then lead their dog onto the grass here in front of our window. They'd then look over and see all three of us eating breakfast and looking out the window at them. I'm sure the look on my face said "I know exactly what you're about to let your dog do!". They'd look a little ashamed, tug the dog along on their leash and move along quickly before the dog could relieve themselves.

This literally happened 3-4 times during one short breakfast! Nick and I looked at each other and commented that our grass area must be the popular poo spot. I was quite pleased that the culprits were nearly caught red-handed by us. It's utterly ridiculous that people are too lazy to pick up after their dogs!

This story has a wonderful ending. Since that morning we have never seen another neighbor lead their dog to poop on our "lawn". And our upstairs neighbor has continued to pick up after their pooch. It no longer smells like dog poop when we open our windows and no more dodging piles of yuck on our way to the car. Hooray!

No comments: