Friday, March 22, 2013

One Year

One year ago today, we said good-bye to our baby Sean. Today is his heavenly birthday. We know he's with Jesus and we know this was God's plan. We're so thankful God blessed us with a beautiful healthy son and two baby girls on the way that, so far have been perfect and healthy. We really are incredibly blessed.

I know the anniversary of a child's death is very difficult for any parent. Even in the case of an early miscarriage, it's tough to get through That Day each year. God has brought us on such a journey over the past year and the one thing that I've reflected on frequently was all the love, care, compassion, and support we've received from everyone. I can honestly say that through the pain and grieving process I have felt so loved.

I wrote about our hospital stay shortly after we delivered Sean and said good-bye. I won't reiterate all the details again, but you can read it here if you want to know just how wonderful all of my doctors and nurses were.

I feel so fortunate that I can look back and remember all the kindnesses and how I was so loved and cared for. Many times I've wanted to write to the nursing staff to thank them, but I never did. So for this anniversary date, I told myself that would be the best way to acknowledge Sean. I wrote the nurses a letter and got them a card and a simple bouquet of spring flowers. We went to the hospital and delivered it all.

I was a little nervous about this, but thank God the nurses were just thrilled. And---really praise God---the two nurses that took care of me the most were on duty!! Tracy and Deirdre. Oh, to see their sweet faces really made my day!

They actually remembered us, which really touched me. After a whole year I knew they'd had hundreds of other patients. So it was a very happy reunion. :) They were so excited to hear about the twins and just to see that we were doing well. There were lots of hugs and happy tears all around.

I know these ladies work so hard to care for women during terrible experiences. The last they see of most of us is our devastated, tear filled faces as we get wheeled out of the hospital in despair. Broken hearted. They told me that they love it when people come back to visit with new babies or just happy updates in general. It helps them keep doing their jobs so well and to keep up their spirits through the hard times.

So, I'm extremely happy we finally got over there to thank them. God really blessed all of us. This could have been a very sad, depressing day but I left feeling grateful for so much.

On a side note, it was interesting to walk right by the birth center knowing we'd back there pretty soon!! :)

If you're reading this, I know you're one of the people that helped love us through this past year. So, thank you! We love you and appreciate you so much!

No comments: