Monday, February 9, 2009

The Biggest Loser

My chiropractor's office is running a "Biggest Loser" competition. The person who loses the most weight wins $300 cash or $500 in chiropractic services.

Lose 10lbs and you win a free 1 hour massage! I'm hoping to at least lose the 10 lbs. I have 10 weeks to do it!

We attended a seminar that was chock-full of great info and guidelines, we got weighed and had a meeting with one of the doctors for our goals. If anyone wants some of this info, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. It is WAY too lengthy to post on here.

One of the biggest challenges for me is cutting back my carbs and eating a lot more protein. We are supposed to eat complex carbs such as brown rice, oats, whole wheat...stuff like that. But for the most part, we Americans eat way too many bad carbs in general and that's what I need to really cut out. Honestly, when you start focusing on eating lots of protein and fresh produce, it can be hard to fit in any carbs. :-) I've been doing great for the last few days. I'm planning to report my progress on here as a way to keep accountable.

Today's food so far:

Breakfast: scrambled organic, free range eggs with lean ham

Lunch: seafood salad made with crab, shrimp, celery and a small amount of mayo. Organic apple.

Snack: Organic string cheese and a small organic apple

Dinner: turkey chili (ground lean turkey, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, and black beans).

Drinking lots of water and green tea. I am supposed to give up coffee too...I think. It's under the list of things to "Eliminate or Limit". I think I'll just limit it to one cup a day. :-) I've always just had one cup of coffee each morning anyway. It's a bigger challenge to just drink water and tea the rest of the day. No soda...no Coke even if I hit a wall in the afternoon and need a pick me up!

The good news, all the protein and fresh food minus the heavy carbs has helped me avoid that typical afternoon slump at the office. Hmmm....that plus my new fish oil supplement must be helping a great deal.

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Karen Butterworth said...

I don't give up coffee...or carbs. ;) But that's just me.

Good luck!

Tana said...

i've given up cokes. actually, i think God took them from me. i haven't had a drink that was sweet AND tasted good since christmas. i'm drinking water and tea, and being very careful not to let my mind wander to cheeseburgers when i pray for help making healthier choices!
good luck with winning that massage!