Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vegetable of the Week

I caught the tail end of brussel sprout season. My local farm stand harvested the last of their crop, and my mom and I were delighted to buy a bunch of baby brussel sprouts.

Apparently we're quite alone in our brussel sprout love! No one else I know seems to like them. Unfortunately, sprouts are just one of those veggies that taste pretty bad if you overcook them. And many people tend to overcook fresh veggies. It's easy to do!

It's great to start by purchasing organic, fresh veggies from a local garden. They taste very different than what you get in a super market.

Wash your sprouts, trim the tough end and remove outer leaves. Make an "X" on the bottom; this helps it cook all the way through.


Ready to start steaming

They looked so good, even Harvey came over to investigate...





Steam for 5-10 minutes. Do not overcook! See how they turn bright green? That's how you know they're done (similar to cooking broccoli and asparagus).



Top with butter and a bit of salt and pepper if you like.
YUM! :-)

2 comments:

Tana said...

i'm impressed. the only memories i have of brussel sprouts are unpleasant. maybe they were ALL overcooked. you've managed to make them look edible, even appetizing. maybe i'll have the courage to try some.

robearsgirl said...

Those actually DO look tasty, Tara. I'll be one of the first to admit: I HATE brussels sprouts! BUT, I did find a recipe the other day that looks somewhat appetizing (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html), so I worked up the courage and bought some to try :) I even bought some brussels sprouts seeds to try growing my own (mainly 'cuz they look so cool growing on that stalk!) ;)