Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mmmm...butter!

I thought this was worth posting. I know a lot of people that eat spreads instead of real butter, thinking it's much healthier. I am really against too much fake food and real butter is all I'll use...I just don't use too much of it. :-)

There was a news article online today about the worst "Healthy" Foods in the market. Lo and behold, butter won over a popular spread! Check it out:

Worst Butter Substitute
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Original (1 Tbsp, 14 g)
90 calories
10 g fat (2 g saturated, 2.5 g trans)
90 mg sodium

Stick margarine is the absolute worst. To make it solid, it has to be stabilized with partially hydrogenated oils, the source of trans fat. What unsuspecting slatherers are left with is a single tablespoon of yellow goop that contains more than a full day’s worth of a fat that’s been proven to increase your risk of cardiovascular disease. Stick with real butter instead; Organic Valley Whipped Butter has just two ingredients: sweet cream and salt.

Eat This Instead!
Organic Valley Whipped Butter (1 Tbsp)
50 calories
6 g fat (3.5 g saturated)
40 mg sodium

Woo-hoo for butter! Just like cream cheese, going for the whipped version gives you far less calories and fat. And one really great rule of thumb is to only eat things with real ingredients not a bunch of scientific names you can't pronounce. Organic butter is the way to go (and psst...putting real butter on freshly steamed veggies actually helps you absorb more nutrients!!).

The full article can be found here: http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/25030/the-worst-healthy-foods-in-the-supermarket/

2 comments:

Karen Butterworth said...

I love all the "Eat This, Not That" articles. :) They are so informative. But butter doesn't surprise me. I am a purist as well--the ingredients list better just be cream and maybe salt!

I do like a butter/oil blend for easier spreading on bread--but again, the ingredients are just butter and oil! Nothin' else!

(Technically any fat will help you absorb nutrients from veggies--but butter is a tasty one!). ;)

Tana said...

butter tastes better than margarine, too