Friday, May 8, 2009

Star Trek!



Nick loves sci-fi. I don't think I ever even used the term "sci-fi" before I married him! :-) In the last 5 years, he's been successful in converting me to a fan of one sci-fi show (Firefly--woot!). But for the most part, I'm not into sci-fi stuff.

I am definitely not into Star Trek! I've never even watched one episode on TV. But the previews for the new Star Trek movie actually looked pretty good. It helped that they cast some actors that I really like. So I agreed to go see the movie with Nick and it was GREAT.

We saw it last night, which was opening night. According to Nick, who is very familiar with the Star Trek history and storyline, the movie did a great job with all the characters and staying true to the whole story. According to me, someone who has no clue about Star Trek, the movie is still excellent all on it's own. Very good story, good plot, great acting. I loved it!

Surprisingly, there was very little in the movie that was offensive. No sex, no swearing, and even the violence was more like ships exploding rather than blood and guts and heads getting chopped off.

This is a really great movie! Go see it, even if you aren't a Star Trek fan, you'll enjoy it. :-)

4 comments:

Chelsea Lyn Dilbeck said...

I can't wait to see it! I have to admit that I am a sci-fi geek at heart so I have seen quite a few of the original episodes of Star Trek. :) So far I have not found my soulmate in this, though, so I'll be seeing it with my dad. :)

Karen Butterworth said...

No sex???? Nelson was listening to the radio today and the review said that a sex scene was part of why it was rated PG-13. I'm confused now....

Not that I care...I'm not going to be seeing the movie! I hate sci-fi (except for Star Wars and Farscape), and I especially hate Star Trek (sorry, Nelson, Nick, Chelsea, etc.!)

Tara said...

I read that too. The "sex scene" was really a make out scene. There was maybe 2 kisses! They were in their undies, but that's a lot more than most bathing suits these days. ;-) It last about 2 seconds and I didn't find it offensive. So I didn't consider it a sex scene at all, at least in comparison to most other movies.

robearsgirl said...

Firefly!!! You're the first person I've heard mention that show! DH discovered it a couple months ago and watched all the episodes on Hulu. I kept bugging him to let me watch with him ('cuz it sounded interesting), so he REwatched them all with me. SO GOOD! I wish they'd kept going with it.

Anyway... your post wasn't about Firefly... ;) I saw the new Star Trek previews the other day and thought it looked really good. I DO like sci-fi stuff :)