We are so fortunate in that Connor has always been a good sleeper. I can think of maybe once or twice when it appeared he had a bad dream, but he went back to sleep so quickly it was no big deal.
So that is why after 3 years of parenting, we weren't sure what to expect when Connor woke up last night from a bad dream and called out for us. It was a sweet little encounter, which is why I'm recording it.
It was 1:00am and Connor woke up crying hard. I went in to him and he was sitting up in bed looking bewildered. I went over and hugged him and held him and he kept saying "Mommy I want you to stay with me!". I stayed and tried to reassure him that Daddy and I were right outside his door and he could relax and go back to sleep. He laid back down and cuddled his stuffed animals, but when I kissed him and said good night, he grabbed my hand and said again "Mommy, I want you to stay with me."
So I did. I curled up next to him hoping my big pregnant self could stay perched on the edge of that twin bed and not fall asleep and then fall off. I wrapped my arms around Connor and he clung to my hand. I figured he'd fall asleep eventually and then I'd slip away.
Connor wasn't crying or hysterical or anything. He laid there for about 15 minutes, then he patted my arm and quietly said "I'm okay now Mommy. You can go."
Um, okay. I wasn't expecting that! I got off the bed, made sure he was tucked in and had all his friends to cuddle with. He told me good night and I love you. I left and he went back to sleep and we didn't hear a peep out of him until 8:00am this next morning.
I was so impressed that Connor was able to get himself feeling calm and secure again, and then let me know he was okay to be left alone to go back to sleep.
What a sweetie!
No comments:
Post a Comment