We had to find a new pediatrician here when Connor came down with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease a couple months ago. Since we were there, they scheduled us for a 2 year checkup. That appointment just happened to fall on a morning that Connor woke up feeling sick. It was one of those days; we had an early appointment so I literally had to wake up Connor, put him into clothes and then directly into the car. To my dismay, I saw he had thrown up in his bed overnight but had no time to clean it up. I cleaned Connor up and he acted normal and happy so I assumed he was okay.
Wrong! We got on the road and it started to snow. It snowed harder and harder and then Connor started to vomit all over himself in the backseat. I had no way of pulling over and could hardly see to drive. To make a long story short, we arrived barely in one piece and my nerves were shot. Thankfully I had a change of clothes for Connor and we made it to his appointment on time. He got some medication right away to help settle his stomach.
His doctor is a very nice lady. We really love her. The 2 year checkup was the most worrisome for me because that is when they really start evaluating their development. I had to fill out a really long questionnaire. In the end, the results were not at all surprising. Connor is very advanced in his gross motor skills but a bit behind in speech. They want to evaluate that further but aren't really concerned at this point. He's doing great in all other areas.
Most shocking to me was Connor's growth. Since birth, he's been on the slightly below average/average height and weight range. He was definitely on the small side at birth and since then, he's mostly been in the 50th percentile for everything. Totally average. Well, this time his height fell into the 76th percentile! The doctor said he's going to be a tall kid. I guess so! Since he's a boy, I'm happy about that. Being tall seems to be important to men. :) At any rate, this kid has grown a LOT since we moved to Colorado. Is it the fresh country air? He grew a little over 2 inches and gained about 2 lbs. No wonder he's outgrown all of the hand-me-downs we received shortly after we arrived!
Interesting that since he's turned two, lots of people ask us Connor's age and they are always surprised when we say he just turned two. They always guess he's older. Recently, we were waiting in the lobby for our chiropractor appointment. Connor was playing Legos in the kids' corner. After awhile, a gentleman sitting next to me asked Connor's age. I told him two and his eyebrows shot up. He told us very enthusiastically that he thought Connor was very bright, and he was a preschool teacher so I suppose he has some authority to judge. At any rate, we got to talking about preschool and it sort of hit us at that moment that we are WAY out of the baby stage and well on our way to things like schooling. Kind of scary actually. :) But it was good to talk with a preschool teacher to get ideas and options and discuss concerns. It was encouraging for us to hear a professional opinion that Connor was so smart for his age. We even talked about the speech issues and he was convinced that Connor was doing alright and communicating just fine.
We've started going to a playgroup at church and that socialization has been terrific for Connor as well. His favorite buddies to play with are closer to 3 years old, but they all get along great. Hopefully this kind of thing will get him prepared for preschool too.
We are due to see the pediatrician again in 3 months to touch bases on Connor's progress in talking. Hopefully by then things will have improved!
No comments:
Post a Comment