I know I haven't done any menu planning for awhile. After Christmas, I basically just tried to get by with what I already had on hand in the freezer and pantry. We bought staples like milk and eggs and cheese, but I refrained from doing more than that for a couple of weeks.
I've missed doing crockpot meals so this past week I went through recipes and came up with a small menu. Each of these dishes serves a lot and lasts us several days. I was able to get all of the ingredients for around $50 (I had a few on hand already which helped). These are all very yummy and since we've been busy these days, it's been wonderful to come home to a delicious smelling house and dinner all ready to go.
Crockpots are a God send!!
Taco Soup
Chinese Lemon Chicken
Beef Stew
Cheeseburger Soup (sorry Karen, this has Velveeta in it!) :)
Chimichangas
The chimichangas aren't as easy as the others since all the crockpot cooks is the meat filling. You still need to put the chimichangas together along with any sides. Since that was the case, I saved this for a day I'd be home early in the afternoon. Nick loves chimichangas and used to order them at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in Arizona called Macayos. Macayos served them (along with other dishes) smothered in a wonderful concoction called Baja Sauce. Very fattening but sooooo yummy! The wonders of the internet will lead you to pretty much any recipe you want, including some copycat restaurant recipes. Most come super close to the real deal and I found a baja sauce recipe to serve over these chimichangas:
Macayos Baja Sauce
My husband loves me even more now. :)
1 comment:
Well, now I'm going to have to check out that sauce! Mmm...I so love chimichangas. I'll share something weird though--our local Mexican place gives the option of having them fried or "soft." I actually prefer them soft. I know this makes them just a glorified burrito, but it's the meat inside and all its yumminess that I love.
Post a Comment