Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter Blah?

Someone who used to live here in CO commented to me recently that winter is very blah. I don't know what it's like in other areas that experience all four seasons, but it is true that winter seems blah here. Without a blanket of snow, everything is dead and brown. We live out on the prairie and while I love the rolling hills and wide open spaces, the endless sea of brown can be a little depressing.

Coming from Arizona, where you can hardly distinguish between seasons, this is an interesting experience for me. I think the winter blah helps you appreciate certain things much more. Snow, for example. It's cold and wet and can make driving around a bit scary. But it's also so beautiful!


Our last real snow was about a week before Christmas. We all went out to play in it and it was so white, it was dazzling! I commented to Nick that I have never really seen anything so white as this snow. It was so clean, so perfect and so pure. It gave me an entirely new appreciation for the bible verses that describe our sins becoming as white as snow.

When the snow melts and we are back to looking at brown grass and bare trees, I often daydream about spring. I can hardly wait to see the green grass, wildflowers, and new leaves on the trees! I know that this year, I'll appreciate spring SO much more after experiencing the dead of a true winter.

We are fortunate that we live in a place with many blue skies and sunny days even in winter. If the brown gets to be too boring, just look at the sky and the mountains. I do love the gorgeous, bright blue sky here in Colorado. 

Although there are evergreen trees here that aren't dead and bare, I miss seeing bright greens. So that makes filling the house with plants even more exciting. Connor and I planted an herb garden and the tiny, bright green shoots starting to poke their way through the dirt is very cheering. I appreciate seeing that bit of green on my windowsill every day.


One other thing I am appreciating about Colorado winter is the Canada Geese! I have no idea why, but I just love these geese. I think they are so beautiful and I get very excited when I see a flock of them anywhere. I had to look online to discover that yes, a ton of geese make their winter home here in the Colorado Springs area. We have lots of open spaces with lakes and reservoirs that they seem to love. It is cool to watch them fly in formation over our house. We will miss them whenever they migrate back home. So I will like winter here as long as my geese hang around! :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow, really?? The poop we definitely experienced first hand. That was pretty crazy. The geese let us get really close to them before they flew away. We'll be careful next time about letting Connor run after any!