Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Date

If you're on Facebook, you probably saw that I posted an update about our getting asked out on a date. One day at the chiropractor's office, Connor started to play with a little boy named Caleb who was also 2 1/2. They ran around the office, laughing, until the receptionist herded them out. The mom and I exchanged phone numbers upon her excited report that no kid seems to be gentle enough to play with Caleb and they played so well together.

Cool. So we chatted on the phone later that week and I heard that all Caleb has been doing is asking for "my friend Connor". How sweet!

We all got together and I was as nervous as I'd be on a first date because for the first time ever, I felt a lot of expectations. Connor had to be nice and sweet and gentle at all times. That was the only reason we got asked out on this date!

All went quite well I think. There were lessons about sharing and we all sang a clean up song, and Connor looked at me, then at the other mom, and you could hear him thinking "My mom doesn't sing the clean up song. She just tells me to clean up!".

Then, lunch. The boys sat at a little toddler table. Connor sits at a booster seat at our house, thus he is not used to escaping as easily. After eating two bites, he proclaimed "I go play!". The other mom told him seriously "Caleb is learning to say 'May I be excused'" before leaving the table. Can you say that?".

Connor looked at her and yelled "I done! I go play!". Then just ran off. I was mortified. I had not yet even thought about making Connor ask permission to leave the table. I feel lucky to get him cleaned off before he squirms away.

Before Caleb's nap time, we played outside and the boys played fireman with the garden hose. At this point I was mostly just glad that at least Connor held to the standard of being nice. The boys had fun, were playing just great together. No hitting or shoving or anything. Then Connor got a hold of that hose and, laughing maniacally, sprayed poor Caleb. Caleb started to cry and Connor just looked at him like "Dude, what is your problem?".

So...it was a very interesting day. By comparison to most kids, we think Connor is really sweet and kind and gentle. But compared to Caleb, he was a mischievous little leprechaun with no manners. lol

I know, it's not good to compare. I know that. It was just hard not to because it was such a new, different scenario.

I honestly have no idea if we will get together with Caleb and his mom again. I hope so. Maybe we can teach Connor some more manners by then?


I attempted to get Connor to say "May I be excused?" today after lunch. It sounded goofy. He looked at me quizzically and said "I go play Mommy? Please?". At least he said please.

No comments: