Monday, June 18, 2012

Leading by Example

I've heard a lot about Christian men being the leaders of their family, but I had no idea what that looked like when I got married. I think I imagined a drill sergeant type of man: the dad who blows a whistle, lines up the troops, organizes family meetings where he proceeds to tell everyone what he decided about something, gives instructions, makes the final decision on things and tells everyone what to do. I imagined a very verbal leadership I suppose.

It took me years, and the arrival of our son, to come to see what being a real leader of the family means.

As I sat down a few days ago to write an inscription in Nick's Father's Day card, it hit me hard that all the things I love about him as a father, all the ways he inspires and encourages and supports me as a parent, are the ways he leads by example.

Nick doesn't sit down and lecture anyone about being patient and loving and a servant. He shows it by his actions. He honestly isn't the type to gather us around for a big family devotional; rather he lives his Christian life out in front of us in his every day actions. The little things that make a really big impact over time.

I felt very humbled that I could finally put an apt description to this amazing man that I married, that we've come to admire and lean on more and more as the years go by. He is a real leader.

Nick is amazingly patient and sweet with Connor. He can and does discipline with him, but he doesn't lose his cool. Often when I hear him talking slowly and patiently with our son, it gives me strength to act in the same way. He makes me a better mother every day because of his example.



He puts us first and thinks of things that we will enjoy. Nick knows Connor and I so well. For Father's Day, his special day, he took us to a carnival specifically because he knew we'd have fun. And he made a beeline for the pony rides because he knew both Connor and I would be overjoyed at that activity. I love that man!


I'm so thankful that God gave me some wisdom to stand back and observe more and talk less. It's given me so much more appreciation for all the things my husband does. Every day I think he has to be the sweetest man on the planet!

And obviously Connor thinks so too. He adores his daddy and that touches me deeply. You can see clearly that he feels safe and secure and loves spending time with Nick. He asks me every day, multiple times a day, "When Daddy come home?". :)

This Father's Day I feel more blessed than ever before to celebrate this man that God has made the leader of our family. We will gladly follow him anywhere.



No comments: