Connor did so well with the animals today. He actually fed the giraffes! He's getting braver and braver. :)
Of course Connor got a pony ride. :) We decided awhile back that we'll spend $3 on a pony ride each zoo trip rather than on a carosel ride. We really want Connor to feel comfortable around horses and ponies and learn to ride.
I think our consistency is paying off because this ride was awesome! Connor sat in the saddle without being strapped on and Nick didn't have to walk alongside. Connor held on like such a big boy and rode like a little pro. We were so proud! :)
![]() |
| Helmet is on, and he's ready to ride! |
![]() |
| They are both so cute |
Only a two loop trip. One day I hope to enjoy some frivolity and treat Connor to a few rides. :) We are also teaching him to pet and thank his horse after each ride. It may sound silly, but it bothers me a bit to see kids jump off and run off. This is a real animal, and horses actually do appreciate a pet and some kind words.
I love this pony ride operation at the zoo for many reasons, but a big stand out is that the ponies get a lot of breaks in between rides. Sunny, whom Connor rode, got to go back to her stall for a snack and another pony came out to take the next kid for a ride. I far prefer this over the 6 ponies tied in a circle being made to clomp round and round all day. Who knows when they get a break. :(
Okay I'm getting off that soapbox. Back to the zoo!
The reptile house was open for the first time since we moved here and that was a blast! Connor loves turtles, lizards and snakes. He got to meet this nice skink, who happened to be named Darrell just like Grandpa! ;)
This new reptile was one of the most interesting and different zoo exhibits I have ever seen. It was like a cross between an art show and a zoo exhibit. The reptiles were all housed in clear glass display cases full of shiny art, glass rocks, etc. Check out the pretty snakes:
My pictures don't do it justice at all. The displays were really quite gorgeous and the colors of the decor complimented the colors of each reptile. It was awesome!
Then we saw a few displays that were more Zen/Modern Art. At least that's what came to my mind even though I don't really know much about art. Ha!
This exhibit housed a chameleon and some red eared slider turtles. Too bad we couldn't go in and sit in their "living room" to visit. :) The turtles even made a pretty stream running through their home filled with cool plants.
This exhibit was very cute! I believe these were baby alligators and they not only had a pool with a view, but also a beach ball to play with. How fun is that?
![]() |
| This is not a snake, it's a legless lizard! |
Today was a hot day...96 degrees. So even the moose was taking a dip in his pond to cool off. He looked very handsome!
One of our last stops was to see the wallabies, who are only let out into the open enclosure during summer. It's a lot of fun to be in the exhibit with an animal. Too bad the wallabies thought it was a lot more fun to leap over us and away teasingly, rather than hop over to sit near us for a photo op.
The above photo is one of those "you just missed it" pictures. A wallaby was right by Connor when Nick tried to capture the moment, and then the wallaby bounded away. He literally leaped right over us and right past Nick. It was pretty funny.
Even for us hardened Phoenicians, it was an extremely warm day. We headed home after lunch. Since we have a membership, we can stay a couple hours then leave. It's nice! I'm so glad we got to do something fun with Nick before we left.
Yes, I need this car! Or at least one with a similar paint job...
What a fun way to end the day. Sit in a brand new nice car, then go get into your almost 12 year old Honda Civic. Sigh.
That's okay...I am now inspired to do my own car paint job. As Nick commented, my car can't possibly look any worse so why not? :)
This may be my last post for a couple weeks as I may not have access to Internet on our vacation. I'm sure we'll have lots to share when we get home!















































No comments:
Post a Comment