I'm attempting to put together Busy Bags for Connor. There are a ton of great ideas out there, and I hit up the Dollar Tree to see how many of the supplies I could find there first. I got lucky and found quite a lot. I was especially surprised to find these magnets at the Dollar Tree. So, I put together this magnet busy bag first and it's been a hit.
I spent $2 on these two large magnets, then gathered some things around the house that Connor could use to pick up with them. I plan to get some additional objects (we didn't have nearly as much laying around the house that I thought might work). But so far, he has fun with this. He pours out the various objects and uses the magnets to pick them up. He does this over and over.
I love the look of concentration! :)
These busy bags are great! Connor can pull one out and everything is inside for him to do a simple project or activity. I'm excited to make more of these and share the results. I'm sure some won't be as exciting to Connor as others. I highly recommend these magnets though! :)
4 comments:
Magnets are always fabulous.
I know Money Saving Mom posts a lot of busy bag ideas. When I was in college, we had to create basically the same thing--10 of them. The prof called them "work jobs" (I like busy bag better as far as names go). I can't remember why, but each one had to have 81 pieces. So for 10 of them, that's 810 bits of "stuff." One girl said she spent around $100 on that class project.
Me? Of course not. You should have seen me scouting dollar stores and Big Lots and the like. And spray painting rocks. Yep, I totally scavenged 81 rocks from a playground and spray painted them. ;) Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Wow! That has been my main problem with the busy bag idea in the past...I simply could not afford to do much. Thank GOD for the Dollar Tree is all I can say. :) There are so many fun ideas out there, the other problem is narrowing down what to do first. :)
Do you remember any that were your favorites or a really big hit with the kids?
Oh, boy...that was only 13 or 14 years ago... :-p You might have better luck with the Money Saving Mom ideas and other links you find through Pinterest or whatever.
I do remember doing magnets. I think maybe stringing beads?? I just can't remember.
Part of the problem was that everything we did was supposed to be very open-ended; no instructions or set activities. Just "stuff" that kids could count or sort or graph or whatever. I know MSM had done muffin tins for sorting and egg cartons for counting and super easy stuff like that.
If you have a big plastic tub of some sort, you can do sensory activities in it as well--beans, rice, shaving cream, water, sand, the flour stuff you mentioned, etc.
Sorry I'm not more help. It's been awhile. ;)
Oh, that's okay! :) There are tons of ideas out there. I just thought it'd be interesting if one was so awesome, you did recall it after so many years. :)
I've been really tempted to try sensory bins. I am just fearful of the mess. I can see Connor just dumping it out everywhere. He loves messes. *eye roll*
Post a Comment