Friday, November 30, 2012

Ramen Noodle Upgrade

This is actually from Martha Stewart! Is that weird? I saw this on Pinterest and just had to try it for several reasons.

1. We always have Ramen on hand in case of emergencies but it is so BORING on it's own. 
2. The recipe reviews promised a similarity to Pad Thai, which I absolutely love.
3. I have a bunch of Asian condiments in my fridge. Might as well put them to use more often!

So here was the experiment:

Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 package Ramen noodles
  • 1 pack noodle flavoring
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce
  • 1/2 scallion, thinly sliced (optional)

Directions

  1. Boil noodles with flavor pack and drain off most liquid. Toss with soy sauce, peanut butter, and Sriracha. Garnish with scallion. Eat immediately.
 Okay, I used smooth peanut butter since that's what I had and I also only had garlic chili sauce. I threw in the hoisin sauce, about a teaspoon, just because I thought it sounded good.


Conclusion: This was pretty good. I do think regular Sriracha would be much better than the garlic chili paste. That stuff was really garlicky and not as spicy as I like. The chunky peanut butter would also be better for making this similar to Pad Thai, since that dish has peanuts tossed into it.

This tasted a bit too salty to me and I am a salt-lover! Yikes. Next time Ill use a half packet of seasoning mix. 

I did like that the peanut butter added protein to this dish and the sauce definitely made it much more interesting. 

I'll make this again and I would recommend giving it a try, especially if you like Asian peanut sauces. This was super fast to throw together!

No comments: