I am a big believer in a regular nap, far past the age of 2. I know parents that throw up their hands and give up at the first signs of resistance and claim their 2 year old just doesn't need a nap any more.
I am a lot more stubborn than that, and I also see that despite all the shenanigans, my 2 year old really does need a nap. He's almost 3 actually, and if naps don't happen he'll turn into a cranky little man by 4pm. Or he'll fall asleep in the car:
| A quiet car ride, thank you! |
After battling for weeks, he still sometimes resists and later he'll actually come to me at 5pm and say "Mommy I tired, I need a nap". Roll your eyes with me people.
The no-nap days are also the only times we ever get a tantrum of any sort. I know we are really lucky, and because he rarely throws any kind of tantrum, when it does happen it's a little amusing. Also, I always take a picture and that actually stops Connor is in his tracks.
| I feel so sorry for you |
So...we keep truckin' on with the naps and while it can be frustrating, it's also amusing at times. About 50% of the time, Connor will go right to sleep and I do a happy dance. Other days go like this:
We "wind down", we read a few books, we get tucked in to a nice cozy bed with slumber-inducing instrumental music on in the background. I sit with Connor and give him a cup of warm milk. Kisses, hugs, and stern warnings to stay in bed follow. I turn off the light and leave the room.
5 minutes later I hear sounds. I see the light come on under his door. I march right in and catch Connor playing or reading a book. He is tucked back in and stern warnings are repeated. This same process has been known to repeat 3 times before he finally goes to sleep.
One day I got right into Connor's face and made him look me in the eye. I told him Mommy sees everything. I can hear him get up, I see the light go on. I am watching him. He cannot get away with this, so stop trying to already! During this serious statement, Connor is looking at me with his face all scrunched up in displeasure.
In the end, he tells me very seriously: "But Mommy, I don't want you to see me!".
I manage not to laugh and tell him to close his eyes and go to sleep and Mommy sees all, knows all, and always will.
I fully expect him to obey but to my disbelief, 5 minutes later he is up! I storm in this time and there is Connor standing up near his book table. He sees me and immediately drops what he is doing and squeezes his eyes shut and goes totally still. I am not sure if this is a ploy to convince me he's sleep walking or if by closing his eyes, he can't see me so I can't see him? It doesn't matter because he gets thrown back into bed.
Same thing happens 5 minutes later. I march in and he's sitting up in bed looking at a book. I say nothing, just look at him. He squeezes his eyes closed and flops onto his back "asleep" as fast as lightening. I am trying very hard not to laugh. (Please note that I do feel bad that he is usually just sitting there quietly reading a book and not going crazy with loud, ruckus playing. Believe me, I have often wondered if I ought to just let him sit and read. But...it is a matter of obedience as well as the fact that he needs to really rest.)
So...
Then, AGAIN, I see his light come on! At this point, nap time brings me no rest at all and I am ready to give up being a warden. I throw open his door and don't see Connor anywhere. Then I see some subtle movement behind his curtain.
"Connor, get back into bed!" I say.
The curtain replies "But Mommy, you can't see me!".
LOL and OMG!
Wow, he is a persistent little bugger isn't he? He tried every way to get around what I told him. I hated to do it, but I gave him a swat on the butt and made him stay in bed. He did finally fall asleep for a short nap.
I really had to think and pray about whether enforcing naps was something I ought to do. The big concern I had was how awfully cranky Connor always got if he missed a nap. I knew he needed something.
The next day I simply tried putting him down for a nap as normal. I reminded him nicely that he needed to stay in bed and get some rest. Connor nodded and said "Yes Mommy because you see everything!". LOL!
After that, he's actually been much better about napping. :) Oddly, he's never tried getting up again and he goes right to sleep. I have to assume the previous incidents were simply a battle of testing his limits.
I am very thankful that we haven't had to resort to punishments. I really hate that because I want naps and bed time to be pleasant and relaxing, as they should be. Some days Connor will skip a nap, but most days he takes one.
Still, I am preparing for that day that nap time turns into "rest" time.
No comments:
Post a Comment