Sunday, August 8, 2010

Church Today

Today was Connor's first Sunday in the nursery at church. He's been going to church since he was 8 weeks old, but has always sat with us or with Grandma in the mother's room. For months we had a nice routine of Connor enjoying worship music, then falling asleep for the rest of service.

Not anymore! Connor is all about playing and exploring. We decided a few weeks ago, he simply had to go into the nursery. He wasn't enjoying being confined and we needed to pay attention to the sermon and get spiritually FED, not entertain an active baby! I know I really, really need church each week and that short hour of teaching is so important to me.

Dressed in my Sunday best!

Oh yeah, I was nervous. I have never left my baby alone with anyone else, except for my mom and dad. But I knew it was time, so off he went. He had fun playing with 3 other babies in the room. But soon, 2 more babies arrived along with about a dozen toddlers. Early service combines babies and crawlers! Yikes! Soon, all the toddlers were running around noisily and all 5 babies began to howl. It freaked Connor out completely.  He's used to a fairly quiet, calm environment. He cried for awhile, I'm told, before we checked on him halfway through the service. :(

Grandma spent awhile trying to calm him down but he spotted me and wailed for Mommy. Poor guy. :( Maybe this is the time when separation anxiety hits? I don't know, but he was only happy finally cuddled on my lap. Then he was full of smiles for Daddy, Grandpa and Grandma.

I think next week we will try a later service where they keep all little babies in the nursery and all the toddlers/crawlers in their own class.

2 comments:

Tana said...

yikes! i'd definitely try a quieter service until he gets used to the nursery and the people in it. also, if you don't want him to cry at length, sometimes it helps to tell the nursery workers, "i don't want connor to cry for more than _ minutes at a stretch. if he's that upset, please come get me." that gives you less to be anxious about, since you know that he won't have cried for longer than that amount of time. i've been keeping nurseries in various churches for a LOT of years, and 7 - 8 months is about the usual time for babies to start needing the nursery. it isn't usually separation anxiety time. you'll get more of that from 18 months to 2 years. good luck with getting him settled!

Elaine said...

It might help if you visit people with children and he gets used to being with other mom's and children. The more he's around other people the better he'll do. I know that from a lot of experience.