Whole Foods is usually very pricey, but I tagged along with my mom to help her search for some fancy cheese. We saw beef rump roasts on sale at an amazing price. So, I got us a beautifully marbled roast for just $3! Yeah!!
At Sprouts, my usual shopping place, I purchased the rest of our food plus all of Mudpie's vegetables. Grand total came to $55 (including that roast). Not bad huh?
I love Sprouts because I can get good quality stuff in bulk ($.70 for black beans). And their produce is THE cheapest:
Carrots, celery, cabbage, kale, beets, green onions, parsley, yams, lettuce, potatoes, avocados, strawberries, white onions, bananas and squash all for $19.
Also got chicken on sale, millet, salad dressing, flaxseed, butter, eggs, honey, pasta, olives, chicken broth, cream cheese and smoked cheddar cheese. Sprouts always has some special cheese on sale and this week it was smoked Wisconsin cheddar. Oh my-yum!
Last night I fixed the roast and it was the best roast I have ever made, by far. It was roasted simply with a light coating of olive oil, sale, pepper and garlic. Roast at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Added chopped up carrots, potatoes and onions and a little beef stock for the last hour. I whipped up some gravy with the drippings at the very end. Boy, was it all delicious!!
Tonight, I am using the leftover roast to make vegetable beef stew and dinner rolls for our dinner.
Today for lunch, I used the smoked cheddar and pasta to make homemade macaroni and cheese. We already had milk and butter and flour on hand for this. Nick loved it so much, he's eaten two big bowls! That smoked cheddar was awesome.
Ah, comfort food!
The rest of the week:
Breakfasts: cereal or eggs. We have lots of eggs, so I may also use the extra milk and potatoes to make a breakfast quiche or frittatas with any leftover veggies.
Lunches: Leftovers or sandwiches. Already have bread, tuna, peanut butter and jelly on hand for that.
Dinners: Creamy Italian Chicken, Potato Soup, and this yummy beet and olive dish that I am excited for but Nick probably won't like. So he may get stuck eating mac and cheese again that night! :) We already have some other ingredients on hand to throw together pasta primavera, and some kind of chicken and rice dish.
I'm making the millet, squash, yams, carrots, and avocado for Connor. The vegetables for Mudpie will last about 2 weeks (lettuce, kale, carrots and parsley--about $3 worth). Of course, Connor eats WAY less than we do but for the sake of an easy math calculation, we are eating 3 meals a day this week for about $15 a person. That's just about a buck per meal. Not bad at all!!

No comments:
Post a Comment