Let us be practical for a moment. This is a lesson on how you can be educational and creative without spending any money! Think of all the possibilities that exist within the realm of cooking any kind of meal. Chili can become Cowboy Night. Greek can become a Toga Party. You get the idea? :)
I pulled an old shirt of Connor's out of a bag of clothes destined for the Goodwill. I painted it to look like a (very cartoonish) dress shirt and bow tie. I simply tried to wear a shirt that I thought looked Frenchy and put on a lot more makeup than usual. Connor was enraptured by my red lips! He was even more excited by the moustache I drew on him with my eyeliner. He thought it was hilarious!
We made up a little restaurant sign and a menu with craft material already on hand, put some flowers from the backyard in a vase and made up silly place mats with French names for everyone. Lastly, I found some French jazzy music online and had that playing all afternoon. It added to the ambiance and Connor enjoyed dancing to it.
When Nick walked in the door and saw us, especially Connor in his moustache and bow tie, he laughed and laughed. The look on Nick's face and Connor's delight at his reaction made it all worth it.
The French bread was hot out of the oven and delicious. The French onion soup was tres bien. Even Connor scarfed it down, which did surprise me a little. I hadn't counted on a toddler eating a bunch of onions for dinner! But the kid loves soup and slurped up all the broth, ate up the cheese and bread and a very healthy serving of onions.
Bon appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment