Last week's pledge of no fast food or deep fried food went very well. It was easy, so easy in fact that I forgot I was doing the pledge and accidentally ordered fish and chips at dinner one night. Dork!
I think these pledges are a good exercise in looking at your habits. This one made me see that we don't hit fast food often or indulge in fried foods unless we're at a fast food joint. But it also made me see that fast food isn't all bad. As a mom of a toddler, I have found it to be a real lifesaver. Thank God for drive-thrus! It's not lazy...it's the difficulty of lugging a baby in and out of a restaurant. There are days when you are out and about, busy and suddenly hungry. I'd love to be prepared at all times with a healthy snack in my bag, but it doesn't always work out that way. Also, I tend to want a real-food snack, not some granola bar.
I have to give some credit to fast food joints attempting to offer healthier fare. If we go anywhere, it is most often to Chik-Fil-A. Connor and I share a kids meal with 4 little chicken nuggets, a fruit cup and a lemonade. Those fruit cups are a great snack! I eat the apples and Connor gets the oranges, strawberries and grapes. :) I do appreciate having that option and I do not feel guilty for going through the drive-thru for a fruit cup.
I think it is a good goal to try and avoid fast food in general because the temptation of yummy smelling French fries, burgers, etc. can really sway you from ordering a fruit cup. :) However, I think you can fit in those treats and still eat pretty healthy. Taco Bell has some "fresco" items on their menu that I really like. I think a chicken taco loaded with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro is a very decent meal. Anyway...the end result is that this challenge didn't challenge us a whole heck of a lot and that's okay. :)
This next week is about trying two new whole foods. Sounds pretty fun! I had already planned my menu for this week, so honestly I'm going to have to look for ways to fit this into breakfast, lunch or snacks. :) I did bake something using coconut flour, a totally new food to us but I'm not sure it counts as a "whole food". We'll see how the rest of the week goes!
1 comment:
Fish & chips is always good choice, pledge or no pledge! ;)
Sarah loves Chick-Fil-A. She gets the kids meal with the fruit and a lemonade. I just eat the fruit and yogurt and sometimes some fries since I can't eat their chicken. But their grilled chicken sandwich is good, once Connor has too big of an appetite to share with you and you have to order your own meal! :)
Post a Comment