Connor has many admirers and we're friends with a lot of people that have come to adore him. From a clerk at Sprouts to vendors at farmers markets, my Connor is very popular. I love connecting with people and we've become attached to a few older ladies in particular.
This is Lucy. We love her!
Connor is friendly but doesn't run into just anyone's arms for a hug. Lucy is the exception. He goes straight to her for hugs, to be carried, holds her hand as she walks him around the farm. It warms my heart to watch this interaction.
Lucy is the rare woman who doesn't just coo and squeal over Connor and tell me how cute he is. She looks for more than that in people. She observes Connor and comments to me constantly as we stroll around the grounds of the farm. "He sees everything, he is so curious, he is so observant, he has good posture." are a few of the things she always tells me.
Lucy is my favorite kind of elderly person: wise, comfortable with herself, and obviously content with her life and how she's lived it. I never hear her complain or show any bitterness about past hurts, failures, etc. Best of all, she's relaxed with children. She wants kids to enjoy and learn and grow. Connor explores every inch of the farm and Lucy encourages it. She's always telling me not to worry about Connor touching something. "He can't hurt anything" she says. It's refreshing. I admire how hard she works in the house and on the farm, toiling in the heat and sun yet not looking the least bit ruffled. She's strong and fit even in what I'd guess are her 70's.
We once got onto the topic of obesity, junk food, etc. Lucy described talking to women who try fad diets, various gyms, and other things used to lose weight these days. Gastric bypass surgery made her shudder. Looking at Lucy's trim figure, I'd assume she's never had a weight problem. Her secret? She works all day and always has. She told me "If women would just clean house the way we used to, moving furniture around and really deep cleaning, work in the garden and eat fresh foods then they wouldn't need fad diets or gastric bypass." That makes total sense and I absolutely agree with her. Surely one burns as many calories deep cleaning or mowing a lawn as you can running on a treadmill. I commented hastily that I had no time or money for a gym. Between chasing Connor around, cooking and cleaning, I was way too busy and tired to attempt anything more. Lucy looked me up and down and said "Well, you should just keep doing what you're doing!". It made my day. :) I tend to think about Lucy as I do my chores. Lucy reminds me so much of my grandma Joanne, another fit and trim lady in her 70's who has never been on any medication, rides her horses, cleans and mucks stalls. The woman never stops! Last time I got a picture of her, it was of Grandma climbing to the roof of a barn to make a repair. The woman is 73! It's just awesome.
We hadn't seen Lucy in awhile and we finally got to her farm this last Saturday. As Connor and I ambled up the path to the barn, she ran out exclaiming that she had just been thinking about us. We then visited her brand-new turkey chicks and baby quail. Her horses neighed in welcome and roosters crowed exuberantly.
After 2 hours, I could barely tear Connor away. "One day maybe you can stay all day!", said Lucy. Lucy, I wish we could live here! :)
Connor got himself a wagon ride back to our car. We just love Lucy! I hope in 40 years or so I can be a lot like her.
No comments:
Post a Comment